5 Tips on How to Choose Your Machining Partner
There are many factors to consider when choosing a machining partner and it is imperative that OEMs do their research to identify the right one! Price is, of course, a huge consideration, but there are many additional elements that must be considered when selecting a partner. Since there are many options to choose from, choosing the right partner may seem like a big task! Below are 5 tips on how to choose your machining partner that will help guide you through the selection process.
- Proven History: OEMs should do their homework to better understand the background of each machining partner they are evaluating. For example, how long have they been in business, who were their previous clients, and have they been recognized within the industry? You want an established partner with proven experience and repeat customers. Additionally, ensure the supplier has ample experience working with a company of your size and in your industry. ABS, for example, has 50 years of experience serving a variety of industries and has proven results with its customers.
- Excellent Quality: quality products are important! You must select a partner that provides high-quality parts and that stands behind their offerings! Additionally, you should have a discussion with potential partners on risk tolerance to ensure you are aligned, especially if your automation solutions are for a high-reliability or sensitive industry. OEMs also need to ensure potential machining partners have quality professionals integrated within the entire manufacturing process. At ABS, quality is the key driver and is an integral part of every process we undertake, and our quality team works hand in hand with our manufacturing and engineering teams to ensure quality is part of every decision we make!
- Offers What You Need: this may sound simple but not all machine shops offer the same solutions. You need to be clear on the requirements for your project and if a potential partner offers solutions that meet your needs. Keep in mind that partners with a broad range of offerings are better positioned to provide support as your business grows over time. Additionally, ensure potential partners are using advanced machining technologies such as CNC machining and 5-axis tools. Generally speaking, the use of state-of-the-art equipment leads to higher quality and more consistent machined parts. ABS is known for its capital investment initiatives in order to provide customers with the most advanced facilities and technologies. Additionally, ABS maintains a massive fleet of machinery comprised of dozens of duplicate pieces of equipment. This redundancy allows ABS to offer unparalleled versatility, nimbly adjusting operations as necessary to accommodate fluctuations in customer needs.
- Strong Customer Service: look for any extra services and customer support that a potential machining partner provides. For example, is it easy to contact the partner with technical support questions? You will want to discuss these topics with any potential partner to understand the level of customer support provided after the initial purchase.
- Solid Relationship: in the end, you are not simply looking for a supplier, you are looking for a trusted partner that can help your business grow! A true partner asks for input and listens to customers – offering solutions that ensure both parties are aligned and satisfied! Also, every supplier has its own unique company culture and relationships with its customers so ensure you mesh well with any potential partners. Good communication and a spirit of collaboration is needed from the start so do not ignore any red flags you note during the evaluation process – they will not go away after the partner is selected!
ABS – Your Trusted Machining Partner
Established in 1971, ABS Machining has grown to become the recognized global leader in large machining, fabrication, and assembly for OEMs. The key to our success has been exceptional people, unparalleled facilities, and an unwavering commitment to quality. Our people are experts in their given field. Their expertise is matched only by their passion for serving our clients. We continue to invest in our people with education programs, cross training and in our internal accredited apprenticeship center.
Our facilities are state-of-the-art and we are equipped to serve our client’s requirements in:
Our massive fleet of machines and automated welding systems has delivered solutions to the most technically challenging projects. Our commitment to maintaining unparalleled facilities is evidenced by our renowned continuous capital reinvestment initiatives. Our commitment to quality goes well beyond our ISO 9001:2015 Registration. From the inception of all programs, ABS quality professionals work closely with each customer to ensure all their unique requirements are met or exceeded. It is this commitment that has positioned ABS as a strategic supplier to leading OEMs worldwide.
Contact us today to see how we can help with your machining project, or give us a call at 1-844-227-6224.
CNC MACHINING · FABRICATION · ASSEMBLY
Precision Machining ↓
ABS offers a unique combination of medium to high volume production machining and welding services.
80 Large Advanced CNC Machine Tools
ABS is one of the largest and most advanced manufacturing companies in North America.
6 Plants with lifting capacity up to 160 Tons
The ABS 5-Axis machining department has been built from the ground up with our customers’ needs in mind.
Centrifugal and Turbo Machined Impellers
Fabrication & Quality Assurance ↓
Heavy Fabrication Mig, Tig, Flux Core, Sub Arc
Mig, Tig, Flux Core, Sub Arc
Inconel 625 Hotwire Tig
Inconel 625 Hotwire Tig
Quality Assurance & Control
Quality Assurance & Control