Advantages of 5-Axis CNC Machining
Over the past couple of decades, many companies switched from manual machining methods to Computer-Numerical Control (CNC) machining to take advantage of its cost-effective, high-quality products. CNC machining is a manufacturing process that uses a computer to control machinery, and is known for rapid production, excellent product consistency, and safer operating conditions compared to manual machining.
Today, manufacturers face a similar question: do we continue with traditional CNC machining or upgrade to 5-axis CNC machining? To help your team answer this critical question, below are the key advantages of 5-axis CNC machining – all of which increase operations efficiency, resulting in significant time and cost savings!
- Increased Part Complexity: traditional CNC machines are able to move along 3 axes: the X-, Y- , and Z-axes at the same time. 5-axis CNC machines are able to operate along these 3 axes as well as 2 additional rotational axes, A- and B-, for a total of 5-axes working simultaneously. In general, the more axes a CNC machine can operate on, the more intricate geometries it can fabricate. Thus, 5-axis CNC machining has a huge advantage over traditional CNC machines and is able to manufacture complex parts that may not be feasible with conventional CNC machines!
- Simplified Setup: traditional CNC machining requires multiple setups in order to rotate the part orientation to perform the desired cutting and machining steps. These part adjustments can lead to misalignments and errors each time the part is removed and reinserted into a new position. 5-axis machining requires a single setup since it is able to work on every surface of the part at once - significantly increasing operations efficiency and reducing the opportunity for errors.
- Enhanced Accuracy: as noted above, 5-axis machines are able to fabricate an entire part with a single setup. This leads to more accurate and reproducible products compared to traditional 2 or 3-axis CNC machines that require the part to be removed from the machine multiple times during fabrication. Additionally, improved accuracy results in less waste generation from off-spec parts.
- Improved Surface Finish: since 5-axis machines are able to bring the part closer to the tools, the cutting tools are shorter in length and, therefore, less likely to vibrate while operating. Since 5-axis tools vibrate less during machining, the surface of the final product usually has a higher-quality finish compared to parts fabricated with traditional CNC machines.
- More Design Flexibility: one of the advantages that is often underestimated is the flexibility and versatility that 5-axis CNC machining offers designers. 5-axis CNC processes are able to fabricate geometries that would be impossible with conventional CNC methods, and enables designers the opportunity to create even more complex shapes and sizes of parts.
ABS’ 5-Axis Machining
Our 5-Axis machining department was built from the ground up with our clients' needs in mind. From the development of large custom designed 5-axis boring mills, to our in-house tool design group, our division is well equipped to handle the most challenging designs. ABS developed this manufacturing cell focusing on complex shrouded impellers first, which are known in the industry as “single piece wheels”. Building on the successful launch of the most complex designs, ABS rapidly tooled up to cost effectively manufacture impellers up to 80 inches in diameter.
Established in 1971, ABS Machining has grown to become the recognized global leader in large machining, fabrication, and assembly for OEMs. The key to our success has been exceptional people, unparalleled facilities, and an unwavering commitment to quality. Our people are experts in their given field. Their expertise is matched only by their passion for serving our clients. We continue to invest in our people with education programs, cross training and in our internal accredited apprenticeship center.
Our facilities are state-of-the-art and, in addition to our 5-Axis Machining, we are equipped to serve our client’s requirements in:
Our massive fleet of machines and automated welding systems has delivered solutions to the most technically challenging projects. Our commitment to maintaining unparalleled facilities is evidenced by our renowned continuous capital reinvestment initiatives. Our commitment to quality goes well beyond our ISO 9001:2015 Registration. From the inception of all programs, ABS quality professionals work closely with each customer to ensure all their unique requirements are met or exceeded. It is this commitment that has positioned ABS as a strategic supplier to leading OEMs worldwide.
Contact us today to see how we can help with your machining project, or give us a call at 1-844-227-6224.
CNC MACHINING · FABRICATION · ASSEMBLY
Precision Machining ↓
ABS offers a unique combination of medium to high volume production machining and welding services.
80 Large Advanced CNC Machine Tools
ABS is one of the largest and most advanced manufacturing companies in North America.
6 Plants with lifting capacity up to 160 Tons
The ABS 5-Axis machining department has been built from the ground up with our customers’ needs in mind.
Centrifugal and Turbo Machined Impellers
Fabrication & Quality Assurance ↓
Heavy Fabrication Mig, Tig, Flux Core, Sub Arc
Mig, Tig, Flux Core, Sub Arc
Inconel 625 Hotwire Tig
Inconel 625 Hotwire Tig
Quality Assurance & Control
Quality Assurance & Control